French police have thwarted a terrorist attack over the weekend, the country’s interior minister said Monday.
Seven people of French, Moroccan and Afghan origin aged from 29 to 37 years old have been arrested in French cities of Marseille and Strasbourg on suspicion of planning terrorist attacks, Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said.
Most of the suspects have been detained in Strasbourg, where one of the largest Christmas markets is due to open later this week. No information has been provided by the minister on the possible targets of the foiled attacks. Since 2015, France has faced a number of deadly terrorist attacks.
In early January 2015, Islamists killed a total of 17 people in attacks at satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo’s office and a kosher food shop in Paris.
On November 13, 2015, Daesh terrorists conducted a series of coordinated attacks in the French capital, killing 130 people and injuring more than 350, many critically. Following last year’s attacks in Paris, France declared the state of emergency, which was further extended for six months after a deadly truck attack in the seaside resort of Nice on July 14, 2016. At least 84 people, including children, were killed and hundreds of others were injured.